35 Winnie the Pooh Quotes | Life Lessons & Other Stuff
As a child, I loved the grand adventures and whimsical escapades of Winnie-the-Pooh and his mismatched group of friends.
But as an adult, I look back and recognise the deeper meaning connected to each of the characters and the underlying messages teaching us invaluable life lessons.
Most children are blissfully unaware of the subtle significance of the lessons being learnt from engaging in the fantastical antics of their favourite fictional characters.
Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends have been delighting children and adults alike for nearly a hundred years and are the creation of the acclaimed English author, A.A. Milne.
Winnie-the-Pooh is the beloved companion of Christopher Robin, the only human in the story. The stories progress from Christopher Robin as a young boy and maturing through the stages of his life until he is grown.
In recent years many people have ‘psycho-analysed’ the behaviour and personality traits of each of the characters from the Hundred Acre Woods and identified a specific mental health disorder in each of them:
Winnie-the-Pooh: Addictive Personality Disorder
Piglet: Anxiety Disorder
Rabbit: OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
Tigger: ADHA (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Christopher Robin: Schizophrenia
Whilst these personality and behaviour traits can be readily identified in each of the characters, I prefer to look at the innocent and imaginary world of Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends as a prologue for introducing many of us to the reality that it takes all sorts to make a world, that everyone is different and unique and we can be friends with others who are different to us.
It is possible to relate to and identify with the familiar phrases and sayings on a personal level as relevant to our own life experiences, but the main life lessons that are characterised in the Winnie-the-Pooh stories are predominantly focused on the value of true friendship, the importance of love and self-acceptance and the acceptance and individuality of others, an emphasis on gratitude, kindness and empathy and most importantly, self-belief.
Here are 35 of my favourite Winne the Pooh Quotes and Words of Wisdom from this wonderful old bear and his gang of wacky friends that have resonated with me over my lifetime:
1. “Life is a Journey to be Experienced, not a Problem to be Solved.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
2. “Some People Care Too Much. I Think It’s Called Love.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
3. “The Things that make Me Different are the Things that make Me, Me.” ~ Piglet
4. “When Life Throws You A Rainy Day, Play In The Puddles.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
5. “If You Live to be a Hundred, I Hope I Live to be a Hundred Minus One Day, So That I Never Have to Live a Day Without You.” ~ Winne-the-Pooh
6. “Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there someday.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh & Friends
7. “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
8. “Don’t underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
9. “If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
10. “Love is taking a few steps backward maybe even more to give way to the happiness of the person you love.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
11. “We didn’t realise we were making memories. We just knew we were having fun.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh & Friends
12. “We will be friends until forever, just you wait and see.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
13. “I must go forward where I have never been instead of backwards where I have.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
14. “If there ever comes a Day when we can’t be Together, keep me in your Heart, I’ll stay there Forever.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
15. “Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So, today is my new favorite day.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
16. “When you see someone putting on his big boots, you can be pretty sure that an adventure is going to happen.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
17. “If people are upset because you’ve forgotten something, console them by letting them know you didn’t forget – you just weren’t remembering.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
18. “In life, it’s not where you go, it’s who you travel with.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
19. “It isn’t much good having anything Exciting, if you can’t share it with Somebody.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
20. “How do you spell love?” asked Piglet. “You don’t spell it, you feel it,” said Pooh. ~ Winne-the-Pooh and Piglet
21. “Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh & Friends
22. “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh & Christopher Robin
23. “I always get to where I’m going by walking away from where I have been.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
24. “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
25. “A friend is one of the nicest things you can have and one of the best things you can be.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
26. “I used to believe in forever … but forever was too good to be true.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
27. “It seemed they had always been, and would always be, friends. Time could change much, but not that.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
28. “The most important thing is, even when we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
29. “It never hurts to keep looking for sunshine.” ~ Eeyore
30. “Any day spent with you is my favourite day.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
31. “Nowhere is a wonderful place, especially when you’re beside your best friend.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
32. “A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference.” ~ Eeyore
33. “You can’t stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh & Friends
34. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
35. “So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the forest, a little boy and his bear will always be playing.” ~ A.A. Milne